10 MIN PREP | 2 HR 30 MIN COOK | 2 HR 40 MIN TOTAL | 6 SERVINGS
- 1 pound chopped beef stew (chuck or round)
- 1 small onion
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 3 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
Other Ingredients (your choice of veggies):
- bell pepper
1. In a large pot or pan, COOK beef over medium heat until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, CHOP the onion.
2. ADD onion, bay leaf, black pepper, and broth or stock.
3. SIMMER on low heat, covered, until beef is very tender, 2 hours. Meanwhile, CHOP the vegetables.
4. ADD tomato sauce and vegetables.
5. Continue to SIMMER until vegetables are tender, 30 minutes.
Simmering for the beef can be done the day before.
There’s no need to drain the fat and juice after browning the beef.
This beef stew will freeze great. Double or triple the recipe if freezing.
Chop the onion while the beef is browning. Prep the veggies while the beef is simmering.