Adobo means “marinade,” but this Filipino Chicken Adobo recipe doesn’t call for marinating before cooking. There’s very minimal preparations involved: just throw in all the ingredients in a pot or pan, and let the flavors meld while simmering.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Yields|
|5 minutes||40 minutes||45 minutes||6 servings|
Make it your way. I make this Filipino Chicken Adobo a wholesome meal by serving it with organic brown rice and vegetables.
If serving rice, cook the rice right before cooking the Filipino Chicken Adobo or during idle time in the kitchen. I personally use a rice cooker with a stainless-steel pot.
For busy weeknights, I use frozen organic vegetables as a side dish. My kids like sliced carrots, cut green beans, and green peas. I gently break up the package of frozen vegetables, then follow the package cooking directions about 10 minutes before the Filipino Chicken Adobo is done.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 small onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
1. In a large pot or pan, ADD apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf and black pepper.
2. SLICE the garlic and onion (skip this step if using garlic and onion powder).
3. ADD chicken, garlic and onion to the pan. Chicken thighs often come curled up in the package, unfold them when adding to the pan.
4. BRING to a boil. SIMMER on medium-low heat, covered, 20 minutes.
5. TURN chicken over. SIMMER, covered, until tender, 20 minutes.
For a sweeter version, add 1 teaspoon raw sugar, or 3/4 teaspoon honey or maple syrup. To add even more flavor to the sauce, brown the chicken thighs in the pan first.
To cook in a slow cooker, cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. To cook in an instant pot, cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. To cook in the oven, bake, covered, at 350°F for 1 hour.
For serving, share as an appetizer by itself or as a main dish with your favorite rice and vegetables.